Moving from one house to another is never a quick, easy task. Moving takes work, preparation, and decisions. If you are moving far away, one decision you may have to make is whether to move your goods in a truck or ship them as freight. Shipping your belongings through moving services is a great choice to make, and here are some tips to help you save money when using this method.
Shipping goods in a shipping container is a good alternative to loading them in a moving truck, but every company that offers these services has different rates. If you want to find out what the costs are for shipping containers, you may want to start calling around for quotes. As you call for quotes, be sure to find out:
- What size containers they offer
- The approximate amount of stuff each size holds
- If there are weight limits for the containers
- How much the containers cost for rental and shipping
- If the containers are waterproof
- If you will need your own insurance for your belongings while they are being shipped
- The time frame for shipping your goods to the new location
As you talk to various companies that offer moving and shipping services, you may be able to find the best deal for moving your belongings.
Get Rid Of Things You Own
In most cases, larger shipping containers will cost more to ship than smaller containers. In addition, weight often plays a role in the cost of the services. The prices you pay will depend on the company you choose and the number and size of containers you need, but the amount will really be determined by the amount of things you have.
Moving to a new house is the perfect opportunity for you to clean, organize, and purge. When you move, you must go through everything you have in order to pack it. As you do this, it is a good idea to get rid of things you really do not need. If you can eliminate a lot of things you have, you will benefit in several ways.
Getting rid of stuff will make unpacking in your new house much easier and faster. It will also help you avoid the need to rent a storage unit to store things you really do not have a place for in your new home. The best reason for getting rid of things, though, is to save money on your moving costs.
If you get rid of a lot of things, you may be able to use few shipping containers to get your things to your new house. This will help you save money on your move. You may even be able to sell your things by having a garage sale, or by advertising them on classified ad sites. The money you raise from this could help pay for your moving expenses.
Pack Your Things Carefully
The final way to save money using shipping containers is learning how to pack your things correctly to avoid damage. If you throw your things in the container without wrapping them, boxing them, or stacking them properly, you might find a lot of damaged goods when you begin unpacking. To avoid this, you should follow these tips:
- Pack your boxes snugly – Snug boxes will stack easier than boxes that are half full. Using uniform-size boxes will also help, because it will make it easier to pack your things tightly in the shipping container.
- Take your furniture apart and wrap it – Taking your furniture apart will save room in your container, and it will also make it easier for you to protect your furniture by wrapping it with shrink wrap or blankets.
- Place heavy things on the bottom – As you begin to load your shipping container, keep the heavy items on the bottom and the lighter items on top.
Choosing to ship your goods to your new home in a shipping container is a great idea for an out-of-state move. If you would like to learn more about moving services and shipping options, contact a moving company in your area.